Buying a tuxedo definitely has several benefits over renting a tuxedo. To view some of these important benefits, please check out OUR STORY for a good overview.
If you are interested in reading more of the specific benefits, please continue reading below:
1) Much higher-quality garments Strongly consider this first point. For a tuxedo store to be profitable, they must get a lot of "runs" from their inventory. There is no control over this variable; this means that you may end up being the 100th person to wear a particular garment. You may like to think that you are the 1st, 5th, or even 10th person wearing a garment ... but chances are that many more sweaty grooms have worn that garment before you. Frayed lapels, discoloration, broken buttons, "pulls," stains, you name it ... there are a lot of uncontrollable variables involved.
By purchasing your tuxedo, you have a beautiful garment that has not shown any signs of aging. Crisp lapels, even colors, "tight" construction ... now you're looking like a man of style. Your bride is not wearing a used gown, is she? Look like a "million bucks." Definitely consider purchasing your tuxedo.
2) Perfectly-tailored fit Most tuxedos/suits need some alterations for a perfect fit. A rental store cannot do all the necesary alterations to guarantee a perfect fit. For example, tuxedo stores cannot do "tapers" or add/remove fabric (if necessary) because that same item will be used by another groom the following week.
Don't get me wrong ... a groom can still look fairly well with a rental garment; however, he will not have that tailored look of perfection that is only available when a professional tailor can alter that garment to fit the contours of your body. For this reason alone, you should highly consider purchasing your tuxedo.
3) No "substitutes" !!! What's that mean? Here's a situation for you: Your coat size is a 40R. The same coat that you will be wearing from a rental store was worn by another groom the week before you. That groom forgets to return his tuxedo to the rental store. Our main problem now is that he has the coat that you will be wearing for your wedding. Answer this question for me: do you really think that the store owner is going to buy another coat for you and also pay the rush charges associated with getting that new coat for you in time? In most cases, the answer is "NO!" He will try to "sub" you with a somewhat close size (maybe a 41L, 41R, 42R, etc.). If he doesn't have a close size, he may even try "subbing" you with a different style coat (of course he'll try to find one that is somewhat close).
Bottom Line: you may not be getting what you should have gotten. Save the aggravation and consider purchasing your tuxedo.
4) No need for "exchanges" Exchanges occur frequently in the formal wear industry. You go try on your tuxedo just 1-2 days before the wedding, and you find out that something doesn't fit correctly. Although some stores may attempt to fix the problem on the scene, most stores will require you to come back at a later time to pick up the "exchange." It's 2 days before your wedding, do you really need to be doing this back-and-forth scenario this close to your special day?
Consider purchasing your tuxedo so you can enjoy the benefits of a custom-tailored fit and never have to worry about exchanges.
5) Save the time & hassle of going back & forth to the formal wear store. OK ... you have to go to a tuxedo store to pick out your styles & have your measurements taken ... then you have to pick up your tuxedos 1-2 days before the wedding ... then you have to come back if any "exchanges" are made ... then you have to come back to the store to return the tuxedos.
Suggestion: consider purchasing your tuxedo and you'll always be prepared.
6) No "knock-offs" or imitations You bring a picture into a rental store and say that you want a specific tuxedo, perhaps one by Ralph Lauren. Most of your popular styles by Michael Kors, Cardi, Ralph Lauren, Ike Behar, etc. have been imitated by smaller manufacturers that may not be using the same quality piece goods. By looking at the garments, it may be difficult to tell the difference in fabric. The only difference is that you may end up with a lesser quality garment that doesn't have the same fit and "lines" as a top designer. You may be saying, "Store owners wouldn't purchase imitations just to save inventory costs and boost up their bottom line profits." Think about it.
Do the safe thing. Consider the best option. Consider purchasing your own brand new tuxedo.
7) No stress about attire. Need an explanation? You have enough things to concentrate on 2 days before your wedding day. Do you really want to "cross your fingers... knock on wood," and hope all goes well with your tuxedos?
Save the hassle and purchase your tuxedos well in advance of the wedding. No unforseen "surprises" will pop up ... ultimately, eliminating unnecessary aggravation before your special, memorable event.
8) Peaceful rehearsal dinner. Explanation? Unfortunately, tuxedo pickups are usually on the Thursday (during evening hours) before the wedding. In most cases, wedding rehearsal dinners are also on Thursdays (if the wedding is on a Saturday). If you do decide to rent tuxedos, I hope that your rehearsal dinner doesn't fall on this day. If so, you may run into a time issue/problem. When the guys go pick up their tuxedos, they should really try them on in the store. If there is a problem, the guys could get tied up there and end up showing up late for the rehearsal dinner. To eliminate this unwanted event from occurring, consider taking advantage of our "group discounts" and have each member of your wedding party make a wise investment by owning a custom-tailored tuxedo well in advance of the wedding.
9) An Investment Why would you want to spend $150 - $200 for a tuxedo rental that you only wear for 1 day? For the price of a single rental, you can own your own tuxedo and enjoy using it whenever a formal social event occurs. Whether you go to a play/theatre, cruise, black tie affair, night out on to town, etc ... you will be prepared.
10) No additional late charge fees & missing item fees - -- groom's responsibility contract? ATTENTION Grooms !!! When you "book" tuxedos for your wedding party at a formal wear store, you usually have to sign a "Groom's Contract." This contract makes you liable for all the tuxedos in the wedding party. If one of your party members returns a tuxedo a day late, you will be the one paying a $20 late fee for each day. If one of your party members loses an item (NOTE: tuxedo jewelry is the most frequently lost item ($20 - $25 charge), you will be the one paying the replacement fee.
All of our pieces are versatile, comfortable and stylish - making it easy to wear them with items that may already be in your wardrobe! For some examples on how to create different outfits with your BLACKTIE pieces, view our #BLACKTIEOWNTHEROOM Inspiration Page.
"But, how can you OWN THE ROOM if you're renting a hand-me down garment that you have to return by midnight? What are you, Cinderella? ---To read more about the story behind the creation of BLACKTIE click here.
No stiff tuxedo rental fabrics here! BLACKTIE tuxedos & suits are crafted from luxurious fabrics including high thread count wool blends, supple velvets and more. Shirts are crafted in premium 100% cotton (broadcloth and twill options). Neckwear options include luxury satins, silks and woven jacquards available in endless colors.
How much you got? Just kidding... we're not here to rob you blind! You'll be pleased to know that you can purchase your tuxedo or suit for less than the cost of a rental. Suits starting as low as $105 - where do we sign up? To view more about our pricing, clickhere.
Great question, we get this all the time! Our prices are so low because we have a great relationship with our suppliers (ordering boat loads of products at a time); and because we simply don't believe in charging excessively high margins for formal wear.
Please contact us immediately if you need to change or cancel your order. Please be advised that some orders are shipped very soon after placement, and it may not always be possible to cancel; however, we will do our best to assist you.
We have FREE standard shipping available on $99+ orders. If you wait until last second and have to do expedited shipping (2-Day Air or 1-Day Shipping), you will have to pay for the rush shipping fees. To avoid these expedited shipping fees, we suggest that you order sooner than later.
Sure. You can order up to 12 fabric swatches, free of charge. Did we mention FREE shipping too? If you have just swatches in your shopping cart, you will see the shipping option "FREE (Swatches Only) when you go through the online checkout process. To view our 400+ Fabric Swatches, click here to get started.
By having an account, all of your information will be saved for future reference. It is also easier to check the status of your order when you have an account. As a guest, you will have to enter your order information every time you want to check the status of your order.
We love when our customers showcase their BLACKTIE style! Using Instagram, follow @blacktieowntheroom & hashtag #blacktieowntheroom on your favorite pics of you wearing your BLACKTIE suit or tuxedo. Then, simply fill out this $20 CASH BACK INCENTIVE FORM. Once we review and confirm your image(s), we will reimburse $20 back to your credit card.
To qualify for the $20 Cash Back Incentive, we require that your order is at least $100. Only (1) $20 Cash Back Incentive will be granted per order.
We look forward to your photo submissions. OWN THE TUX ... OWN THE ROOM!
We like to reward our grooms for sharing additional details about their wedding day. Simply fill out this $100 CASH BACK INCENTIVE FORM. Once we review and confirm your submission, we will reimburse $100 back to your credit card.
To qualify for the $100 Groom Cash Back Incentive, we require that your wedding party spends a total of $750 or more with BLACKTIE. For example, suppose you have 5 guys in your wedding party and each guy spends $150 ($750 total), the groom will then qualify for the $100 Groom Cash Back Incentive. If 4 guys spend $200 each ($800 each), then the groom qualifies and so on. Only (1) $100 Cash Back Incentive can be used per wedding party.
We look forward to your submissions. OWN THE TUX ... OWN THE ROOM.
After placing an order, you will receive an automated email. In that automated email, you will have a direct link that goes to your personal ORDER STATUS page. From that link, you can check the status of your order 24 hours a day. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our customer care team.
After placing an order, you will receive an automated email. In that automated email, you will have a direct link that goes to your personal ORDER STATUS page. From that link, you can check the status of your order 24 hours a day.
Once your order ships, your tracking number will be displayed on your ORDER STATUS page.
If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our customer care team.
Certainly, after filling out your online order, you will receive a detailed invoice receipt that you may either save or print out for your own records. You will also automatically receive an email confirmation with your order details.
Hey procrastinators, you'll be pleased to know we do NOT charge a rush fee. However, you will be responsible for express shipping if necessary. All express shipping options are displayed when you go through the online checkout process.
Not a big deal. We do not require packages to be signed at the time of delivery. If you are not home, the UPS driver will either leave the package near your door, or place a sticker on your door providing you with the next steps to retrieve your package.
Orders placed before 3pm EST usually ship out the same day. Orders placed after 3pm EST will usually ship out the next business day. All orders ship from our Trenton, NJ warehouse. The "in transit time" will depend on your shipping Zip Code.
We do not require packages to be signed at the time of delivery. If you are not home, the UPS driver will either leave the package near your door, or place a sticker on your door providing you with the next steps to retrieve your package.
Once an order has shipped out, we will send you an email with the tracking number. Just click on the link and it will take you to the UPS website.
You can also track your order in your order history. Just log into your account using your email address and password, then click on your order number in your order history. The tracking number will appear under the Status & Tracking column. If you click on the link, it will take you to the tracking information for your order.
Yes, you can return an item and we will cover the return shipping charges (90-Day Return Guarantee). If you need to exchange an item, we handle exchanges as "new orders." Instead of waiting to receive your returned item, we ask that you place a new order so that we can process and ship immediately. When we receive your returned item(s), we will then refund back to the credit card you originally paid with.
If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase from BlackTie.com, you can return your item(s) for a full refund within 90 days of purchase. (Returns must be unworn, in the state you received them, and in the original packaging.)
In order to return an item, you must obtain a RETURN MERCHANDISE AUTHORIZATION (RMA) NUMBER. To obtain a return authorization number, please either email us or call customer service at 888.349.4004 during business hours (10am - 6pm EST).
We will then email you your RMA number & prepaid return label. Please then print & tape the return label on the outside of the box and send the package to:
If you prefer to ship the items back using your own shipping carrier instead of our prepaid return label, please return your item(s) using a shipping service that provides you with a tracking number (such as UPS, Fedex, USPS, etc) so you can keep track of your return.
Once we receive and process your return, we will refund your credit card for the full product amount.
It may take 4-5 business days for your return to reach our Fullfilment Center. Once it is received and inspected (usually within 72 hours of receipt) your refund will be processed and automatically applied to your credit card or original method of payment within 2 days. Please note that depending on your credit card company, it may take an additional 2-10 business days after your credit is applied for it to post to your account.
If you want to change your order after placement, please contact our customer care team. If your order has not been processed yet, we should be able to change or cancel the order. However, if your order has already entered Processing, we cannot change or cancel the order. But, don't worry, because you'll be able to return the order with the return shipping costs on us. You can then place a new order if desired.
We value our customers and their privacy. All personal information is used to ensure efficient processing of your order. This information is used by our staff for contacting and identifying customers and their needs. We will not give, sell, rent, or loan any personally identifiable information to any third party, unless we are legally required to do so or you authorize us to do so.
Information Collection & Use: Our site's registration form requires users to give us contact information (like their name and email address). The customer's contact information is used to contact the visitor in the event of a problem when processing an order. For example, problems with credit card verification, product availability, etc. Users have a choice of receiving future mailings during the registration process.
Our site uses an order form for customers to request information, products, and services. We collect visitor's contact information (like their email address), and financial information (like their account or credit card numbers). The customer's contact information is used to get in touch with the visitor when necessary. i.e, in the event there is a problem processing an order, corporate changes, or changes in privacy practices. Financial information that is collected is used to bill the user for products and services. The customer ID numbers are assigned to Web site visitors to verify the user's identity and for use as account numbers in our record system.
Security: This website takes every precaution to protect our users' information. When users submit sensitive information via the website, your information is protected both online and off-line. When our registration/order form asks users to enter sensitive information (such as credit card number), that information is encrypted and protected. While on a secure page, such as our order form, the lock icon on the bottom of Web browsers such as Netscape Navigator and Microsoft Internet Explorer becomes locked, as opposed to un-locked, or open, when you are just "surfing".
If you have any questions about the security at our web site, please send an e-mail via our contact form.
For both suits and tuxedos, we carry Modern Fit (sizes 34-60) and Slim Fit (sizes 34-44). As for shirts, we carry both regular and slim fit sizes to accommodate for all body types and stylistic tastes.
Our formal tuxedo pants (with satin stripe) do not have belt loops (because traditional tuxedo pants are not supposed to). These pants are able to be styled with suspenders. Whereas, our suit pants are designed with belt loops and are able to be styled with a belt.
*Fashion Pro Tip: DO NOT wear suspenders & a belt at the same time! #TheMoreYouKnow
Let's say you have your tux or suit style and the sizing is right; but, you just want to tweak it a bit. Maybe you want to move your sleeves up half an inch? Or maybe you prefer your pant length a little higher or lower? In a situation like this, our Fit Guarantee kicks in allowing you to go to your local tailor for these slight adjustments and we'll cover up to $15 of the alteration! If you look good, we look good. We want you to OWN THE ROOM with confidence.
To redeem your $15 Tailoring Reimbursement, please take a photo of your tailoring receipt and email it to us along with your NAME and ORDER NUMBER. Submissions must be submitted within 30 days of your order date.
With over 400 fabrics, we are confident that we will be able to coordinate looks with your specific color or theme. But, feel free to browse our Color Guideto get a head start and find your color match.
To submit your photos, visit here.Simply fill out the brief form and click SUBMIT. Don't forget to follow us at @blacktieowntheroom and HASHTAG (#blacktieowntheroom) if submitting from one of your social media profiles!